Saturday, October 3, 2009

Busy Bee

I feel like it's been forever since I've written a decent post. I have gotten back into my regular work routine (as 'regular' as my work can get!), plus an extracurricular routine, and both have kept me busy. I am thoroughly enjoying a 'lazy Saturday' today, so I thought I'd catch you up on the highlights of my last month.
  • Work rocks. The position I am in provides a healthy challenge daily, as I jump-start programs, coach staff, and serve as the resource I am titled to be. This is my third year being a Resource Coordinator, and it is interesting, because the challenge is totally still there, but the maturity of having held my position for so long is really starting to come through this year. It's kind of hard to explain. I feel like I have a larger 'box of tools' to use on the job; I feel like I am answering questions more solidly; I feel more comfortable in more settings with more people. I am supervising a practicum student this year, which feels like such a 'grown-up' role, and I am also currently subbing in a program with a child with severe behaviours, and I'm not struggling with it the way I feel I once might have. I've had a lot of "I can do that? ...I can do that!" moments.
  • I think part of the feeling more like a 'grown-up' (aside from the fact that I am now only 1.25 yrs away from being 30--yikes!), is that I'm starting to more often dress like a grown-up. While this may not seem like a 'fall highlight' to you, it's a big deal in my world! Working with children has always [gratefully] allowed a wash-and-wear wardrobe. Tees, jeans, capris, sneakers. It suits me well, cuz I don't much like dressing up. Still, I've slowly been realizing that--especially in the office, and when I'm out with friends--it might help me look more my age if I dressed more my age. So, over the last couple of months, I have meshed together the desire to be comfortable, the need for floor-play worthy clothes, and the benefit of dressing up a little bit when I have been shopping. I managed to get a couple new outfits into my closet in August, I also picked up a couple things in the outlets in Seattle, and most recently, acquired some gems at a clothing swap that I went to with my friend JP. When it was still really warm out, I had a ton of fun in skirts, and am moving into the pants and sweaters now that fall is here. Last Tuesday, I was downright exhausted all day long, but I was wearing what I can only describe as a perfect outfit. Usually I dress in accordance with my mood (i.e. tired = cozy and comfortable), so I stretched myself a little bit to wear comfortable, but nice. ...I think it helped a little bit! I can't wait to wear that particular outfit again on a good day!
  • My photography is also expanding a little bit. I am gleaning photography tips from credible online sources, and having fun out in the field (trying to get the glorious colours of autumn, if we would just have more sunny days!). I am trying to expand my skills by taking pictures that don't fall into my standard portrait or landscape or up-close shot. I tried some sports-action photos at some friends' ultimate frisbee game over the summer. And I am especially having fun experimenting with my wide-angle lens. And in the realm of my comfort zone, I had two people ask me to do their family photos, which has been rewarding. I am also currently turning several of my photos into Christmas cards for our church's December craft sale. I don't care to be a professional, but I'm excited to see what potential my photography does have.
  • I'm taking dance class! Friends and I have signed up for a weekly drop-in hip-hop class that will teach the basics of different styles like popping, krumping, house, etc. While my friends seem to have been looking for more of a cardio workout, I am thoroughly enjoying learning a new routine each week to build up a repertoire of choreography knowledge and dance skills. I'm breaking a sweat and feeling it the next day--that's enough of a work out for me!
I think that's about all that's new and exciting here in my little world. Now, back to my lazy Saturday...

1 comment:

Sara said...

Nice to hear how you're doing in more detail! :) I hope your dance class is lots of fun, and I'm glad things are going well at work!