Friday, August 8, 2008

Melting

So after a wonky-weathered July (alternating daily between windy, rainy and sunny/hot), we have had a full-week stretch of sunny, near-30C weather (80-85F). I am loving it (notice large smile in the photo on the left), but boy is it hot in my south-facing, large-windowed condo. Early in the week, with the help of a fan, my room still cooled off enough at night that I needed a blanket. Last night, with the fan going, I couldn't handle anything heavier than the sheet, and just on my legs. I should have fried some eggs on my patio for breakfast this morning. I am currently typing with my feet in a bin of cool water (it feels SO nice). My cats only come out from under the bed or dresser to eat or use the litter box (although Princess still feels the need to cuddle her furry body onto my lap, as well as lick my salty arms).

And yet, I refuse to buy an air conditioner. In part because I don't have the space. I'm not going to block out an entire window panel to stick a box in there, and the portable ones are huge! Portable for who? The hulk? For the two weeks of the summer where it actually roasts outside, it's just not worth it. Especially when it does get down to 15-20C outside (60-68F) at night. As long as I'm not out of town, I can usually keep it bearable in my tiny space with fans and open screens.

I figure it's a trade off. I might melt for a week or two in the summer, but my place is always cozy warm in the depths of winter; ya just can't beat that.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I still maintain that you're crazy!