Monday, April 13, 2009

Well, That Was Weird

So, I went and got my hair cut just before doing respite this afternoon, and as I'm paying at the counter, one of two men waiting for their turn says, "do any of you know anything about Easter?" I perk up a bit, and, as I finish entering my PIN number into the keypad, I turn around from the counter to face the guy who asked the question. I've given him the body language that says, "I do!", so he asks, "When is it that Christ rises from the dead?"

"Yesterday," I reply.

"Yesterday." The man pauses for a second, and then asks, "but wasn't He dead for three days?" The implicit message I got from his question is that he knows Christ died on Good Friday, and Easter Sunday is really only two days after that, so what gives?

"Well," I explain (oddly enough, I had briefly pondered this question the other day), "It says that when He was crucified, it was like the third hour or the sixth hour, so it could have been really early in the morning; so, Friday. Saturday. Sunday. And we don't know exactly when he rose on Sunday."

The other man pipes in at this point, asking, "but did He rise again after three days?"

I feel like we just had this question, but nevertheless, I reply, "No... it says that on the third day, He rose again."

"On the third day," the man repeats, nodding his understanding. Thankfully, this answer seems to satisfy them both, because I really didn't want to get into a conversation about the modern calendar vs. the Hebrew calendar, and all the discrepancies therein when it comes to Biblical data. Cuz I don't know it well enough.

"You're a Christian?" the first man asks.

"Yes," I reply confidently, nodding my head.

As I grab my receipt from the hairdresser, he makes a comment about history that I can't remember exactly now. But I respond with, "yeah, I think it would have been really cool to live 2,000 years ago to see how it all really went down." With this to ponder, it is time for me to go. We give each other the standard, "have a good day" and "you, too"s, and I drive off, thinking, what was that? You call me to be a witness by explaining a technicality?! I quickly shrug it off with a whatever (not an ignorant, 'screw-you-God' 'whatever', by the way, but a 'You-are-God-and-I-am-not-and-if-a-technicality-makes-you-more-real-for-those-guys-then-so-be-it' kinda 'whatever'. ...Just so we're clear), and continue to respite.

...I do hope all my information was accurate...

1 comment:

Sara said...

That is a little weird. I don't think I could have explained it any differently either. I, too, was reconsidering the "third day" thing (vs. after 3 days) this last week...