Monday, February 8, 2010

Crazy Cool Seattle

I am currently very excited; I get to go to Seattle this weekend! (I was there for the first time back in September) The initial motivator for this trip was to see Rob Bell, who is on tour speaking across the country. Seattle happens to be the closest he will be coming to Canada. But of course, it being the Family Day Long weekend for us Albertans, and Rob Bell's talk comprising a mere two hours of the entire weekend, there will be ample opportunity to revisit highlights from the first trip and create some new adventures, too!

So anyway, I'm a geek, and have off-and-on over the last month gleaned information about Seattle for fun. This evening, I just wiki'd Seattle outright. While Seattle's weather may be dull most of the time, Seattle is anything but a dull city!

For example, did you know that Seattle is in a major earthquake zone?! Or that its original name was Duwamps (after the Indian tribe)? ...I already knew that Starbucks originated in Seattle (saw it close up). I did NOT know that, despite having a population of a mere 600,000, Seattle is one of the most congested cities in the US. I recently learned that a major fire in 1889 burned most of the downtown area, and the city was rebuilt ON TOP of itself. Seattle has an underground city!!! ...This is cool stuff!

I have quickly fallen for this city. When I was there in September, I could not get over the amazingly amicable people, and the beauty of the rolling hills and the ocean. ...Alas, the poor city only averages 58 sunny days a year, which is the main reason I could never live there. I grew up averaging 333 sunny days per year in Calgary (top sunny city in Canada), and living in Edmonton still affords me about 321 sunny days per year.

But a weekend road trip? Sign me up anytime!

No comments: