Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring Break Day 1

Today is the first official day of Spring Break for me, and if it continues along in the manner it has today, that will be A-okay!

I woke up after 9 1/2 hours of sleep, two cats purring and nestled on either side of me. This is not entirely unusual for a Saturday morning whenever I can help it, but a great way to start the day nevertheless.

Puttering around my condo, I got a phone call from my almost-two-year-old-nephew. He has just recently learned how to say my name, and I just LOVE it when kids learn how to say my name! The conversation was, simply, "Hi, Gina!" (and a very brief re-cap of his favourite movie, the Grinch, which he tells me every time I see him); it melted my heart!

Speaking of melting, after a week of cloudy and flurry-ish weather, the sun finally made a re-appearance today. With the thermometer reading 15C (60F), I put on my sneakers and iPod and headed outside. I had originally just planned to do my usual River Valley Loop, but once I got down into the River Valley, I just kept going. Instead, I did a 2 1/2 hour loop of North and South shore River Valley Trails. It was fantastic.

Upon return home, I was suddenly starving, so quickly got on the task of supper. But after that, I pretty much got comfy on the couch with various laptop tasks, and haven't done much else. Sounds lame, remember, this is the introvert on Spring Break. A quiet evening is not always a bad thing!

Earth Hour was this evening, and this is the first year I've been able to actively participate. In 2008 I was in the Hancock Tower of Chicago, which did Earth Hour within the building, but I was sadly disappointed in all the lights on in other buildings as I viewed the Chicago urban area from above. Last year... I can't remember, but I was somewhere where it wasn't an option. So I remedied that this year by illuminating my living room with a variety of candles, and it just helped to add the calm, relaxing ambience I have been taking in all day. Earth Hour ended half an hour ago, and I still haven't turned on the lights!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I was kind of sad that I didn't even hear about "Earth Hour" until after it was over... sadly, I think I was at Wal-mart for most of it. Is that the anti-earth-hour?