Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Break Day 5

Half way through Spring Break. Not "only half way" or "half way already"... just half way. The week is not moving overly quickly or boringly slowly. It's kind of been perfect. I really love the pace of down time. I am still engaged in activities, as is my nature, but there's no... strict agenda. No rush. I set out my day on my terms. As a result, I am moving through the week on an entirely different perspective. And it's been quite the week!

...I cannot believe how much money I've spent this week. And not on just frivolous stuff! It just seems I'm tackling a bunch of grown-up errands at once while I have more free time. This week, I have done groceries, purchased concert tickets, renewed my license plate, purchased several gifts for upcoming birthdays and occasions... and tomorrow my car gets its oil changed. And I have photos to pick up some time in the next couple days.

I've learned that I actually like doing groceries better in the evenings or early mornings (the former happens way more often than the latter) than in the afternoons. Apparently, afternoons is when many +65-ers hit the grocery store. It's slow. And congested.

I took the train to respite the other day instead of driving. I intend to do the same on Friday and Monday. It actually takes 10-15 minutes longer to get to N&S's place using transit, but some days it's just so nice to leave the car at home, and let something else move me from Point A to B while I listen to my iPod and read.

I have just started reading Memoirs of a Geisha, and although I am only four chapters in, I am thoroughly enjoying it. The writing is fantastic. It has been so long since I have read a really, really well-written book. I have read several books that are "good", even "quite good", but it has been well over a year since I have found anything that hits the level of "fantastic."

I am hoping to take my bike out for its first spring ride in the next couple days. Maybe in conjunction with train travel to N&S's. The days are definitely warmer, but the last couple have been so windy! I really just don't like the wind at all.


Passover and Easter are this week. This is the first time I will attend a Maundy Thursday service. Generally, the day before Good Friday is the end of a work-week, and by the time Seder supper is over (done annually at my church before the service), I'm just done, so I go home. But this year, Spring Break and Easter is all together, so my social energy has not been depleted. On Saturday, St. Paul's has its alternative service, which happens a few times a year. It's a more artistic liturgy, with a lot more room for just listening to the Holy Spirit. It's something I need practice at. And while I am running the projector for the service, as I did last time, it's still an interesting worship opportunity.

Also this week, I have been playing around a bit in Photoshop. Okay, when am I not playing around in Photoshop? But I downloaded this free plug-in for it that has several presets to artistically enhance my photos, and I've been quite enjoying it. Plus, my three top models are always ready and available to provide me with great photos! One of my favourite presets is one called "WWII." It really does make the photo look like it was taken in the 40's...



And of course, the highlight of the week thus far, my condo is on the market! That I did not see happening as a Spring Break activity. But! I signed all the relevant papers with my realtor yesterday--now someone just has to come in and fall in love with the place! ...Truth be told, I do love my little place. I have lived here exactly three years this weekend. Aside from university, this is the longest I have lived at one residence since I moved away from home. I have loved my little place. A lot of growing and blessing has gone on here. And it is because of the growing and blessing that I find myself needing a different kind of space. One that will allow for more growing and blessing.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I can't believe you've been in your condo for 3 years! And I like your photoshop fun. :) Sounds like you're really enjoying Spring Break! Happy Easter!