Friday, December 10, 2010

Apple. Tree.

The two are so close together sometimes.

So I own a house. A house that I must heat in the winter. I programmed the thermostat early on to be cooler while I was at work or while sleeping, and to be the warmest for the hours I am typically home--both to be cost-effective as well as eco-friendly. As I was deciding on temperature preferences, I chose 20C (68F) for the times when I am home. It was partially an arbitrary choice. Cooler than some friends' homes, warmer than others. Seemed like a nice, round number. A little cool in the living room, and on really cold days, but overall, not bad. I'd give the whole system a couple of heating bills to see how I felt about the settings I'd selected.

I turned the thermostat up to 21C (70F) when I had company over a couple times, just to ensure extra comfort. But it didn't really cross my mind to make it a regular setting... until yesterday.

I don't know what prompted me to remember it. But I had a recollection back to my adolescent years. It was a point I'm sure I brought up every winter, although the recollection is not specific to any one year. My parents always had the thermostat set to 20C. I would inevitably try and move the dial even just half a degree up, but was often found out. And my scientific argument was always the same: "Room temperature is 21C." I figured if scientists deemed that to be a comfortable base temperature from which to measure all sorts of things, and if they were calling it room temperature, then rooms should be at least that warm. ...I never won my case.

But I'm in my own house, now. ...Suffice it to say, I have reprogrammed the thermostat. :)

1 comment:

Margaret said...

"If you're cold, put on a sweater; that's what they're for." -- Brenda Dayne :-)

Hugs!

Knittin' Mom