Monday, May 16, 2011

In Love with My House in the Spring

Recently, when people have asked if I'm still enjoying my house (I have been here seven months, now), I have been responding, "I love my house. ...I am in love with my house!" I think I really am. I want it to look good, I want people in it, I enjoy discovering things about it (even if it IS the way the door squeaks in the wind like a choking magpie)...

This weekend, I planted my garden. While not a part of my actual house, it is definitely a part of my home. Beans, carrots, cucumbers, snap peas, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, and dill. And the bonus rhubarb that the previous owner planted last year. It feels so good knowing that I am serving the earth that is serving me.

That evening, I celebrated the arrival of Spring with a campfire in my back yard. What joy to be able to share the space with others! My love for my house and my space clearly shines through in the opening up of it to others.

Still, it was not 24-hours later that I realized my passion for my house. We have had several days of extreme winds in Edmonton recently, and Sunday saw gusts of 60-80km/h (~35-50mph). Somehow, the wind managed to loosen the siding off one side of my house, and when I came home from respite that afternoon, three panels had been blown to the ground, and one or two more were hanging by only a few nails on my house. I was not impressed.

Amidst the frustration of having to shell out unexpected dollars for the repair, I was equally as frustrated at the wind for being wind. Which I know is silly. But as I duct-taped the dangling panels to the side of my house as a temporary measure, I thought to the wind, "you're hurting my house! Go away!"

The repair man came this morning, and put everything back together again. By the time I came home from work, it looked like nothing had ever happened to the side of my house. He'd even filled in a couple cracks and holes that had been in the siding previously. I couldn't help but smile. I care about my home. He obviously gets that, too.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Kindling for more camp fires awaits in the driveway here, dear. And what beautiful tulips you have to show off your repaired siding! :-)