Saturday, September 10, 2011

41/365

It's been about 30C (85F) for the last several days in Edmonton. Uncharacteristic for the city (heck, most of the country) this time of year. This is the fourth year in a row that we have been blessed with summer temperatures in September. Climate Shift, thy name is Alberta???

Still, despite the summer feel, it is clear that fall is arriving. Neighbourhoods and River Valley trails are spotted with yellow trees, the sun is waking up later and going to bed earlier, and as hot as it's been getting in the day time, it's dipping down to about 10C or less (50F) at night.

I decided to mow the lawn this afternoon. With the increase in temperatures and decrease in rain these last few weeks, it's been a while since I'd tended to it, but it was finally starting to look a bit untidy, so I figured my lawn deserved a hair cut. :) Except that mowing the lawn then turned into a whole clean-up-the-garden event. My mom joined me outside, pointing to different areas of the yard and commenting, "in the fall, you'll want to... this" and "in the fall, you'll want to... that." As I'm taking note of these garden tips, I'm thinking about how it pretty much is fall, and how it's not going to get any warmer, really, than it has been this week, so maybe I should start tackling some of the tasks now, while it's still nice enough that I want to be outside.

So we loosened the dirt at the side of the house and yanked up a bunch of weeds. Pulled out the mass of weeds growing between the driveway and the fence, as well. Took apart the small garden bed near the BBQ that I want to re-build differently next spring. Plucked a couple cucumbers from the garden and watered what's left of the vegetables.

Next weekend I will do more pulling and plucking, as well as some pruning.

It's hard to believe the season of growth and colour and life is moving towards dormancy once again, and in a couple short months, I will be shoveling the driveway instead of mowing the lawn. :\

That being said, as long as it is warm and sunny, I will get my hands a little dirty while I can.

41/365 by gina.blank


No comments: