Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Job Matters

I realize that the title of my blog post could come off sounding arrogant--as if to say, "my job matters, and yours doesn't." Not the intention at all. I really just want to emphasize that my job matters, period.

I work with children with disabilities. Really, my role is quite a bit more complex and varied than that, but that's the simplest way to outline it.

And my job matters.

I help give kids without verbal speech a way to communicate effectively.
     That matters.
I help parents learn how to advocate for their child's needs.
     That matters.
I make learning fun.
     That matters.
I watch children, whose parents are told they would never walk, take their first steps.
     That matters.
I teach children how to play.
     That matters.
I teach others how to modify activities so their child/student can be successful.
     That matters.
I make sure children are fully included with their peers in school.
     That really matters.

Our new premier has already given due attention to education cuts that have were made in this province previously. I hope this decision is contagious among other provincial decision-makers, and that funding for children with special needs--which has been frozen the last few years--will thaw. After all, inclusion means supporting all students.

In the mean time, The GRIT Program does everything in its power to meet the needs of the children and families it serves. It takes a village to raise a child. We are so thankful for the community partnerships we have formed that help keep GRIT providing quality service to families. That matters.

"...we don't know a child's full potential,
so we will assume it's limitless."
-- Barb Reid

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Well said!

Christen said...

So...did you just encourage people to take an interest in politics and voting choices? Because, you're right, it does matter.