Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Life is a Song OR 108/365

I love music. I come by this naturally--both my parents had musical skill and loved listening to various genres of music. My dad spent a period of time working at a radio station; my mom has been and is currently active in the worship group of her church. In my brother and I, this genetic predisposition translated into self-taught guitar and modest piano skill, respectively; and both of us were in various school choirs.

I grew up listening to music in the car, in the shower, doing chores, doing homework, and to wake me up in the morning. As an adult, this love of music has not faded. Here is the typical soundtrack of my day:

Waking up:


On the drive to work (a la CBC Radio 2 Morning):


Throughout my work day:


and:


and:


Driving home:


Making supper:


Winding down the evening:


My iTunes collection is one of the major reasons I'm running out of space on my laptop.

And sure, I could go into all the ways that music enhances brain function, the powerful impact of a song's lyrics in conjunction with its melody, the universal way that music influences people. But that's way more of an intellectual post than I'm going for. I know that the brain response, lyrical content, and genres of music I prefer are major factors as to why I love music and listen to it so much. But today I don't need to know any more than that.

I just need to decide which song I want next.

108/365 by gina.blank

1 comment:

Margaret said...

"Skin-a-marinky-dinky-dink,
skin-a-marinky-doo..." :-)