Sunday, January 22, 2012

174/365

Birthday celebrations concluded last night with a gathering at my house. I always enjoy having company over. I love my space, and I love fellowship within it. Certainly not a wild or crazy evening, my party was nevertheless a lovely evening of laughter, food, and fun.

It was also one more thing that reminded me of how blessed I am in my friendships and community. As I mentioned previously, the birthday celebrations started two weeks ago. My family in SK took me out for a lovely brunch. My six-year-old niece, ever-purposeful in so much of what she does, wore an entirely-red outfit in my honour. This really touched me as a reminder of the intentionality with which I am considered by those close to me.

The following week--my actual birthday--I was spoiled again. I had suggested a simple Birthday-Grey's Night, but the girls took that idea and ran with it.

I sat in JP's kitchen, watching the three of them move animatedly around pots, cutting boards, and appliances, piecing together their fondue creation. I know that they were having fun creating simply because they were creating. But I also know that this idea had come about as they had considered me. Just me.

This--at this point, right here--was a wealth of blessing.

Last night, my friends continued to pour the light of celebration and love upon me. And all I really had to do was take it in. (That and the rum-chocolate mousse!)

174/365



(As a side note, I had ten people in my house for this event, and my anxiety-disordered cat remained upstairs for the entire evening. She also stayed in the living room, where everyone was gathered, for at least half of that. She enjoyed cuddles from more than one person, and did not hiss at anyone. This is a birthday miracle, if ever I saw one.)

No comments: