Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Introvert Speaks Again OR 186/365

I am fairly up front with people about the fact that I'm an introvert. Though, while I would love to be able to say that if you spent ten minutes with me, you'd figure that out on your own, that's not true. Either I will be 'extroverting' because I'm somewhere where I need to be 'on' (e.g. work), or I will be so quiet that I will come across as shy or as a snob first (introverts can be both, but I am neither).

Over ten years ago, I found a book that empowered me somewhat. Part-way through university at this time, I already knew full well that I was an introvert. That I liked quiet Friday nights. That I listened more than spoke. But I found myself out-of-balance in a lot of my social activities. I was often trying to be 'on' socially when I didn't necessarily have the energy to do so. Additionally, I hadn't quite realized just how much of my behaviour was tied to my introversion. It's hard to defend your actions when you're not quite so sure yourself if they're "normal." The Introvert Advantage was not really an eye-opener, but definitely an eye-widener.

I am an introvert.

Still, that doesn't mean I know everything about my own temperament. And not all introverts are created equal. I have several friends who are introverts, and we all respond to our social environments slightly differently. I like knowing how it works for them. What are their strategies for recharging? Where do they lose the most energy? Where are they on the continuum? Different perspectives are insightful, too.

So, knowing that the beloved book I owned was over ten years old, and learning of a new book out by a different author, I ordered it online to add to my bank of knowledge. It has several chapters that provide insight on being an introverted individual, but it also has several chapters on our extrovert-dominated society, how that originated, and where it can sometimes fall apart without key introverts playing a role. I think it will not just show the introvert how to empower herself, but advocates for introverts as a collective whole in society.

You do what you want with your down time, but my book arrived in the mail today and I'm totally looking forward to cracking it open. :)

186/365

No comments: