Wednesday, July 25, 2012

345/365

345/365 by gina.blank My aunt and uncle have lived on Vancouver Island for about twenty years. When their house was brand new, my dad took my brother and I out to BC, and we spent several days on their large property.

We explored the creek and forest just beyond the patio doors, took a bubble bath in the jet tub, and attempted to watch cartoons on the peasant-vision television set.

A few years later, a cousin came along. He is the only first cousin that my brother and I have; I am eleven years his senior. The last time we visited their house, he was a year old. Time sure has passed.

Having spent very little time with my extended family, I was excited for the opportunity to catch up with them while on the Island. My uncle cooked some amazing steaks, we celebrated my cousin's 20th birthday with DQ ice cream cake, and then reminisced a bit as we looked through old photographs.

Visiting my aunt, uncle, and cousin as an adult was a bit like starting completely from scratch. So many questions I never had--or cared enough to ask--when I was a kid: what do you do for work? What kind of wine do you like to drink? Are you growing any vegetables, or just fruit? Have you renovated at all? Where do you like to travel?

At the same time, there was definitely that sense of familiarity that only comes with family. My uncle's gait and some of his features remind me of my own father. My cousin frequently talked with his hands, or made facial expressions that matched those of my brother. Clearly, genetics is at work here.

I do hope it's not almost twenty years before I spent good, quality time with these people again.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Lacking history, you are able to enjoy such a visit with fresh eyes and an open mind. A lesson for your ol' mom. Overcoming the history...that's a challenge for another day.