Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hidden Star (SOTC 55/365)

Lacecap Hydrangea in Pink II (SOTC 54/365) by gina.blank
I have felt lately as if I've been lacking both time and opportunity to work on my photography with the same frequency as is typical of the spring and summer months.

I was reflecting the other day on how I have slowed down my "Straight off the Camera" project, and I realized that I really never would have made it at a photo a day. My new roles and responsibilities at work this year have taken me on quite the learning curve. I was also been involved in a small group through church that provided much opportunity to search the heart with my Creator--always amazing, but often exhausting. I have had to be more intentional about where I've been putting my post-work energies. And when I'm running low on energy, my recharge time has looked different--the work and learning and growing has felt so big, and the recharge time has thus needed to be SO quiet.

That being said, I made a wise decision near the beginning of the year to purchase an annual pass to the Muttart Conservatory. I had a hunch that it would be a great place both to take photos on a frequent basis, as well as seek a little solace after work, when the crowd is thin [enough to tune out], and I can claim a bench in the tropical pyramid with a good book.

Realizing that I was due for a visit, I committed my late afternoon to exploring the latest colourful arrangements in the feature pyramid (with a short visit to the tropical pyramid, always a visit to the tropical pyramid!).

The hydrangeas were in bloom, and for an hour, I had the entire space to myself. Few other patrons strolled the building so near to closing, and they were clearly occupied in other areas. It was quiet, photographic bliss.

I need more days like this.

No comments: