Sunday, September 8, 2013

How He Thinks (SOTC 69/365)

How He Thinks (SOTC 69/365) by gina.blank
His eyes always squinty
Fingers in his mouth
not just a sensory habit,
but also
a sign of
his most thoughtful
moments.

He looks everywhere but the camera.
When I get him excited enough
to look at me
with his favourite song
or by counting,
then he is moving too fast
to get a good shot
(he gets excited with his whole body).
So I photograph him thinking.

I don't know what he's thinking.

They say a person needs to have language
to have thought.
He understands language,
but he is,
for all intents and purposes,
non-verbal.

So what does he think?
How does he think?

Does he think like the 10-year-old he is,
or like the 3-year-old the assessments say he is,
or in the 2-3 word sentences
he shares out loud?

I have asked this question for years.

I have no answer,
so I talk to him like a 10-year-old,
like a 3-year-old,
and in 2-3 word sentences.

And then I sing his favourite song,
and I don't care about his thinking,
Because I can see
what he is feeling.

No comments: