Sunday, January 26, 2014

SOTC 86/365

Elm Against the Sky (SOTC 86/365) by gina.blank
"When the snow reflects pink, you know it's going to be a good show."

Despite having west-facing windows, I can't actually see what the sky is doing in the evening unless I'm standing right in front of the glass. The windows are at just the right (wrong?) height that if I am standing back from them by any distance, all I see are the houses across the street and their front lawns.

I once almost missed a full technicolor sunset sky with double rainbow simply because I was sitting on the wrong couch.

Suffice it to say that if I glance out any window in my house and I notice that the ground is reflecting a pinkish hue, I've learned to stop whatever I'm doing, and get right up to the living room window to watch the sky as the sun goes down. Occasionally I am compelled to photograph the colors. With the recent warm temperatures, and still testing just what exactly my new camera is capable of, this was one of those evenings where simply standing at the window was not enough. I'm not even sure I zipped up my jacket as I burst through the front door. Down the stairs, across the street. Lean against the tree, and tip my head back towards the sky. Am I reflecting pink, too?

No comments: