Saturday, November 18, 2017

#IAmGrateful 18

Laughter

Let's show gratitude through photographs, she said.
It'll be easy, she said.

Well, on a quiet Saturday at home, it's tricky to take an authentic photo that shows laughter.* So I went on a hunt to make a collage, and discovered that it's also hard to find photos that show laughter.**

Not because I don't spend time laughing--as serious as I can be, I do value a sense of humour and fun. No; it's more because moments of laughter exist to me in memories, not photographs. Laughter is one of those things you lose yourself in completely, and no one generally thinks to pull out their phone or camera in those moments--we are too caught up in the joy and fun.

And I think this is a good thing--that there are experiences of such authentic delight that they are solely tucked away in the hearts and memories of those who experienced it together.

I am so grateful for laughter--for the jokes, quirky moments, and playful experiences that make me laugh till my sides hurt and my eyes water. And for those who have shared in those moments with me. They are the stories shared around the table, sometimes for years; sometimes making us laugh all over again.



"People with a good sense of humour
have a better sense of life."
- Unknown





*I had this same conundrum with "Excitement."
**Smiles are everywhere, but that's not quite the same.

No comments: