Monday, November 27, 2017

#IAmGrateful 27

Sunshine

Winter Afternoon Sun II
I love sunshine. I grew up in Canada’s sunniest city, Calgary, which sees sunshine an average of 333 days a year. Edmonton comes in second, seeing sunshine 325 days out of the year. Pair that with the wide prairie sky for the sun's rays to shine in every direction, and it's no surprise that I love the light so much.

Even on days when it is -30C, the sky can be bright with light. And there's even a word to describe the warmth we feel from the sun in the cold of winter: apricity. ...I'm pretty sure someone out here on the prairies came up with that one, lol.

Especially at this time of the year when the sun is low in the sky and shorter-lasting, I am so grateful for its shine. Along with air and water, it is a source of life and energy. It boosts our well-being both mentally and physiologically. And it quite literally makes things sparkle.

No comments: