Thursday, November 30, 2017

#IAmGrateful 29 (Also SOTC 262/365)

Weakness

You can interpret weakness however you want here. Faults. Mistakes. Imperfections. The things we just can't help, no matter how hard we try. Everything about us that's broken.

I've done battle with all of that this year, and to be honest, I would not say 'grateful' has been a go-to word to describe my feelings about any of it.

Sure, there is an understanding that our brokenness and imperfections are a part of this complex thing we call being human. And even acceptance that I will come face-to-face with them in life's arena sometimes.

But gratitude...?

...And yet...

I am grateful for my weaknesses--in a way. (I had to pause after typing that, just to make sure I believe my own words.) It's not the same... "flavour"... of gratitude I would ascribe to other facets of life. But, I do recognize that my flaws are a part of what make me who I am. Just as we often talk about how our stronger, more desirable attributes are unique to us, so are our imperfections. No one has the exact same combination of imperfections and broken pieces as me. And so as much as I hate them some days, as much as they leave me with my foot in my mouth, or overthinking things, or being completely oblivious to what's going on--I am still grateful for them. They keep me humble; they challenge me to grow; they help me recognize my strengths.

I am also grateful for those who love me--flawed and broken and all. Those who think I'm worth it not despite my imperfections and weaknesses, but with them and because of them.

At the Breaking (SOTC 262/365)

No comments: